Hanging In There, #ProductOfNewark

I had my surgery, and now I can take Humira again, but it's kicking my ass.  I'm exhausted all the time, as if I had been up all night every night.  My body aches, and it's doing nothing for the joint pain, so I still have to pop Meloxicam.

It is not fun being this tired, and in this much pain.

In other news, it is months later and Ben is still making his jewelry, which is still very surprising, cause he just tends not to be one of those people that sticks to things.  Well, I am happy to report that so far, he is sticking to it, and he seems to be attracting a small following of admirers of his work.  This is fabulous.  He seems to be happy about it, which is good, he needs something to do.  I wish I could do more of my hobbies, but the pain has robbed me of that.

Luckily I will be taking the children to Florida for a few weeks, so I can have some much needed recovery time.  Rest and relaxation is much needed, and will be very much appreciated.  It's been one hell of a year, between giving birth, a relapse, surgery and so many medications that have worked for some time and then stop all together.  I need me time.  I should have been enjoying my daughter instead of sleeping through it in a dazed fog of pills.

I'm hoping to get better in the next few weeks.  The pamphlets say that Humira takes about 12 weeks to see improvement, that's 4 injections.  I really hope I feel something soon.

There is still so much I have to deal with, much of which I won't talk about here,  but part of which I think needs to be addressed.

Racism runs rampant in this country, and it sucks.  One of my friends can't find a good job in Arizona because not only is he Black, he is Gay.  It's 2016, we need to get our shit together and acknowledge the stupid things we did in the past, but move forward.

I bring this up, because my son has been told, that he needs to go to a school with more white children.  He was also told that while M.L.K Jr. did some good things, he was wrong about segregation.

I am livid.

You do not tell my son these things, NO child should hear this shit.

My son has also been told that he will be a "product of Newark" if he continues to live here.  This person went on to clarify that he meant a drug dealer.

Again, unacceptable.

If I had Facebook and other social media accounts, I would be asking everyone to spread #ProductOfNewark, with a picture of themselves or a loved one being their incredible selves, going to church, graduating, playing sports, whatever, I don't care (just not pictures of people smoking weed, we'll save that for the legalizing campaign).

It is extremely upsetting that in this day and age people still think this way.  It is gross, it is disgusting, and the person is question was a teacher, and should not be spewing this garbage to students.

So, I don't know if anyone reads this, but if you do, spread the word.  Idiots like this needs to stop.

Thanks.


Comments

  1. Wonderful, wonderful post.

    I was born in a rich, wealthy area where the only ones who lived around were doctors, lawyers and there kids. Well, I grew up on a farm on the outskirts of this place. But I went to their schools. I was the kid who smelled like cow pies.

    I was raised in what most would seem to call "An Ideal Way For A White Skinned Child To Grow Up". Strict catholic family. Hard Workers. Tons of money.

    Now, I barely have any money. I make money when I need money, and I don't buy things I want. If I can't make it I dont want it.

    My point is that despite being a #ProductOfChardon, I ended up living a different life. Being caged like an animal in correctional facilities, being homeless, selling drugs, sometimes using them... My past is a violent, dangerous past that I am lucky to have survived. And I did not grow up in Newark. I grew up in richy little Chardon. Im there now, for my Grandfathers Death Rites. When I walk down the streets in my home town, female joggers heading my way cross the streets.

    Judgement is everywhere. Fuck them all. Let me come across the person who said that to your son. Jail is nothing more than three free meals a day and a bunch of asshole COs to treat you just like everyone else is gonna anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts