Thoughts On The Tarot




A fellow Wiccan requested that I write about the Tarot, so here goes.

I've actually always been drawn to the cards, I first began dabbling in tarot back in 1998 when I was in 8th grade.  We knew a girl whose mother owned a Botanica which was right across from school so she'd bring out the deck during recess and we'd read cards to each other.  Usually yes or no readings.  A few years later with some money I earned writing other people's papers (no lie, I made bank that year and didn't get introuble either) I was able to buy my first deck from the Pyramid Collection Catalogue.  It was the Rider Waite deck in a special box, the fascimilied edition with The Pictorial Key to the Tarot.  It was a very nice boxed set.  Here it is below, I don't actually own this one anymore, because my sister some how got a hold of it and lost a few of the cards. 😤



Over the years I've owned a few decks, I've tried the Thoth deck, and the Deviant Moon.  I also used to own the Enchanted Tarot.  Mini decks seem to call to me as well, so I own one in a neat little box.  I like those little boxed set of things they sell at Barnes and Noble, they're quite fun.






How did I learn the Tarot?  I still feel like I haven't.  I've read some books, and I've read the cards.  On my old Live Journal I used to read a daily card at the end of each entry.  I did the same in my physical journal.  In fact, it's one of the recommended ways to learn to read.  Just dive right in!

Honestly, for me, it's the absolute best way to learn.  Just get a deck, or look at the pictures online and see what feelings and thoughts they bring out in you.  You can't always regurgitate the meanings in a book because they're someone else's interpretations.  You can and should make your own.  Maybe the color red means anger to you and not love, that personal significance can certainly skew a reading.

When you're ready to buy a deck, I do recommend the Rider Waite Smith, it's the easiest for me, but also chock full of imagery, which some decks aren't.  However, if it doesn't speak to you, then forget about it.  Find one that does.  And if the one you buy doesn't, that's ok too.  I REALLY like the pictures and style of the Thoth deck, but I can't read it.  It's very difficult for me.  So I sometimes took them out just to look, but I don't use them.  Right now all my other decks are in storage so all I have is my commemorative edition of the Rider Waite Smith (that's actually titled "Smith-Waite", which is a fabulous facsimile edition.  If you do like this deck, do get one of those facsimile editions, the coloring is more muted and easier on the eyes, and I'm hoping more true to the original colors of the time period.

A few months ago while scrolling through Amazon Prime for something to watch, I came across an excellent documentary about the Tarot.  It highlighted a reader who only reads the Marsielle deck and whose interpretations are unique.  There are some short clips on YouTube if you don't have access to Prime Video.  Please try and watch this film, if you have any doubts about reading, it will really open yours eyes and give you more confidence with this man's approach.


Remember to not take divination of any type too seriously.  Have fun with whatever deck or medium you choose.

Would you guys like to see me interpret a card at the end of each blog post?

I post the picture of the card, then my personal meanings, followed by the meanings in the book.  Then you can compare the two and perhaps see how my thought process works.  I will give an example below:

The Two of Wands:



What I think: This is a person who's trying to figure out what to do next.  It looks like he's already accomplished quite a bit, he's dressed well, and is looking out to see from the top of a balcony at a castle maybe.  Perhaps he's planning his next adventure, hence the globe.

What the book says: No marriage possible, riches, fortune, magnificence. Physical suffering, disease, chagrin, sadness, mortification.

See?  My interpretation is nothing like what Waite suggests.

If you want me to do more, let me know.

Blessed Be!!!
🌛🌝🌜





Comments

Popular Posts