Embracing Science When You Love Nature



It's fucking fantastic when someone can say that they got better naturally.  By this I mean, not by one's self, but by nutrition supplements, proper diet, exercise and let's throw in yoga, dog therapy and for shits and giggles long walks on the beach with no shoes.

I used to be that person, especially when conventional modern day medicine decided to fuck my system up like whoa.

The Drugs:
Years ago, I had a severe flare up.  My hands locked up, I could barely walk and the doctor tried one medicine after there other.  First it was Methotrexate.  This if you didn't know is a cancer and chemical abortion medication.  Fun shit.  I tell people all the time, I don't do drugs.  You wanna get fucked up on some real shit?  Try Methotrexate.  It made me black out.  16 weeks of my life, I don't remember.  What I do remember is throwing up all the time, my hair falling out, still being in pain, and some how getting to school after taking two buses to get there.  Crystal meth ain't doing it for you?  Give the other meth a try.😉

Next, they tried Enbrel.  Enbrel didn't do shit.  Again I got worse.

Finally, I was put on the study for this "miracle" biologic called Raptiva.  Fuck Raptiva.  I wound up bed ridden.  Less then half way through the study I threw that shit out.  Each shot was a thousand bucks, I had at least twenty shots left.  Again, fuck Raptiva.  Thankfully it never went to market.  And I never went back to that doctor.

Traditional Chinese Medicine:
Instead I found myself an accupuncturist.   He was amazing.  I started getting better right away.  He suggested a macrobiotic diet, and gave me lots of herbal teas to drink.  I was healthy again.

This was 2005 to 2006 roughly, again I don't fucking remember cause I was heavily drugged.  In 2007 I had my bouncing baby boy.  He was healthy, thank you Zeus.

Back to Drugs:
For years, I was fine.  Yeah my skin got a bit patchy during winters but I could run for the bus, ride my bike 8 miles a day or more, chase my lovely boy on the playground equipment and climb stairs two at a time.

Then, if you've been following this blog, you know that after I gave birth to my beautiful baby girl in 2015, all hell broke loose.

I was not fine, I was not ok and three years later I'm still waiting to get better and also waiting for that commercial on TV (have you or someone you know been treated with Humira?)

Honestly I can't blame it on Humira, it didn't do anything but give me a swollen lymph node that had to be removed.

I've read briefly about something called floxing which is when the body gets too much antibiotics.  I was on a course for over a month.  So I really want to blame it on that.

In less then a year I was put on Prednisone, Percocet, Meloxicam, Humira and Stelara.  Stelara was the first thing to work, but it didn't work well.

All the while, I was downing my usual regimen of turmeric and added to it Devil's Claw and White Willow Bark.  I was also drinking various herbal teas from Yogi.  Nothing was helping.  Instead of the macrobiotic diet, I tried the antiinflammatory diet, I lost some weight but was still in severe pain.

Right now, I'm in limbo.  My final injectable concoction has been Cosentyx (the stuff Cyndi Lauper is on).  It has horrendous side effects, like spiked blood pressure with rapid heart beat, migrains, dizziness, nausia, muscle weaknss.  And probably a bunch of other stuff that I get that I can't even remember if it's disease related or pharmacological side effects.  At the end of the day however, this has been the only stuff to work so far.  Sadly I'm not being given the proper dosage I need and I'm in a fight with the insurance company because of it.

Disease modifying medications are something I believe in.  They've helped so many people, I've seen them work on myself with my own eyes.  It's unfortunate that they're so expensive which is why insurance doesn't want to cover it.  It's way cheaper for them to have me in a wheel chair collecting SSI then spending the 10K a shot I need so I can actually function properly, and you know work like a normal 33 year old woman.

Special Diet:
My diet is a modified Mediterranean.  I cut out grains except for the occasional brown or white rice.  Cosentyx for some strange reason has taken away my lactose intolerance and replaced it with a wheat intolerance.  So I can enjoy cheese and yoghurt again.  I also added morninga tea to my list of herbal remedies, and I enjoy two servings of kombucha a week.

Does any of this actually help?

Who the fuck knows?

I haven't felt well in years.

All I know is, the natural stuff makes me feel better about putting the manufactured chemicals in my body.  At this point it's just part of my routine.  Down some herbal pills and vitamins, drink a coffee or tea, eat an omelette, try to minimize pain.

Besides herbs, there are other new age pagany remedies that I've always loved and used for much of my whole life.  This is where nature comes in again.  Let's go through each one shall we?

Crystals:
I love pretty rocks, what girl doesn't?  I was given a quantum balance crystal a few years ago.  And it does make me feel a tad better just to wear it.  Mostly it effects EMF's.  I can't walk into an electronic store without it on.  This pendant really helps from that dizzy head throbbing feeling I get around too much electricity.

I've actually always liked crystals and collected them, but it was Shadow who taught me the hard core healing techniques.  When I was at my worst, he'd put me to sleep with selenite and some large quartz points that we have, while doing some energy work on me.
Such a great guy that one. 😍

Essential Oils:
Have you heard of Deep Blue from DoTerra?  Let me tell you about this stuff.  It's phenomenal.  Hands down the best topical pain reliever ever.  It's expensive as fuck but worth every penny.  Shadow uses it on his neck and back and I used it on my back during pregnancy.

Oils are yet another thing I used long before people became googly eyed over them.  They can help with mood, sinuses, ridding your apartment of other people's stinky cooking and so much more.

Back when my son was little I would put eucalyptus oil in the burner and mix some up with coconut oil to put on his chest if he was congested.  I rarely used cold medicine with him.  In fact we just did this for him a couple months ago when the allergies were really bad around here, works like a charm, no pills needed.

Vibes:
Ever feel like your living space is just off?  Well, as soon as I cleanse with sage and make my place more witchified, I feel loads better.  Sometimes you just have to take the time to send other people's energy packing.  Being surrounded by your own things helps too.  My crystals, my books, my pens and ink.  These things are all embued with my energy so it just feels good to be around them.  Even the simple act of clearing off the altar table and rearranging it can do wonders for one's mood.

At the end of the day, I need a balance of science and nature.  Hopefully one day I will be able to go back to all nature, but right now is not that day.

I'm still trying to find things that work and not giving up hope.  If you're reluctant to try some medications, read all the facts, try some herbs and other stuff first and then work with your doctor to choose the medicine that will work for you.

Blessed Be!
🌒🌕🌘



Comments

Popular Posts