American Refugees

With all the complaints about Trump and people swearing they're going to move to Canada, could the phrase "American Refugees" be the next big thing on the news?  Probably not.  Although if you believe some sources, real-estate agents north of the border ( I was totally tempted to type "north of the wall") have had serious inquiries about properties from Americans.

What would that be like?  People fleeing en masse from the "greatest" country in the world?  It's an interesting concept.  See, everyone came here fleeing something else.  So would president Trump, excuse me, let me use his real last name, Drumpf, really be all that bad?

At the end of the day, the president really doesn't affect (am I using the right one?  or is it effect ?) our day to day lives, except to give comedians more material for their monologues.  At least that's the way I feel.

Unlike most Americans, I wouldn't high tail it out to Canada however.  Canada is cold, they speak French in some parts, it would be just as bad as all the damn Spanish around here.  Europe has their own human migration problem, people want to go to Australia as well.  I did too at one point, for the lovely weather, until I researched and found out that there are entirely too many creepy crawlies that can kill you.  So, not fun in the least.

I could go to my ancestral home, except that Greece is being overrun by Syrians.  Greece has it's own damn problems, leave the home of my daddy alone!

So where would I go?  What country would welcome us with open arms and exchange our ugly green paper for their money at a reasonable rate?  I'd go to England.  England has history, but it's also cold, and has perhaps a week worth of sunlight a year.  Not very good for a person of Mediterranean origin who thrives on copious amounts of vitamin D.  South America and Africa are out of the question, too many people are being murdered over drugs and diamonds and such.  The middle east, nope, no thank you there are Jews there and they can't cook.  China has too much pollution, but they do have a burgeoning middle class.  Plus, you can feel more patriotic when making purchases, knowing that it's made local.  This can be an important deal breaker for some of us after all.

So where?  Where in the world could we be safe to practice what religion we wanted, what occupation to have, receive free education for our children?  (No one is talking about college, so fuck you, we NEED people to clean toilets and flip burgers!)  Be able to purchase a home without having to default on an outrageously priced mortgage?  Not get fat from the government allowing Monsanto to grow genetically engineered corn?

Who knows?

I certainly don't.

We're quite the progressive nation compared to the rest of the world.  I doubt one man with piss yellow hair is going to have that much of an impact as to change the entire ecosystem of this country. I could be wrong however, and the landscape featured on the Walking Dead could become our new reality.  Meh.  Meh is what I say, and meh is what I shrug my shoulders at.  It's all meh.

This was all just a thought I had, because it would be terribly entertaining for those anchors on the BBC to say in their British accents "Thousands of American Refugees landed in Heathrow airport today..."  I think it would really give the terrorists in their little bunkers something to laugh at.

Comments

Popular Posts