Mabon 2019




Often times the simplest way to celebrate anything is with food.  Today is the first day of Autumn and  though the leaves are changing, the temperature outside was above 90.  Everyday after school Ana plays in the park, I’m letting her get as much sun and fresh air as possible before the weather turns gross.  There are already a few brown oak leaves for her to toss around.

Ana took a break from playing and we shared an apple from the farmers market, honey crisps are delicious and one of our favorite varieties.  I spent the rest of the time enjoying the cooling breeze and reading a book called “A Secret History of Witches” (very appropriate right?).

Once home, I cooked our harvest meal, string beans stewed in a chunky tomato sauce, and I popped a few chicken legs in the air fryer.  Shadow was obsessed with it and I never learned to use it, his mom actually taught me when she visited after he passed.  It is proving to be convenient when the temperatures are high.

I set the table with some items from the altar, a mini cinnamon broom, a small decorative pumpkin and a pillar candle.  No need for pomp and circumstance here.  As a special desert I bought these small raspberry and vanilla cream bars from Trader Joe’s, they were really good and a lovely cool end to the meal.

There will be no ritual tonight, no baking and we will be running the AC in the bedroom. A quiet, simple, peaceful and easy way to bring in the fall.  No matter how you choose to celebrate, have a blessed Mabon!

Comments

Popular Posts