Flax Redux



Why do I do these things to myself?  I don’t know.  I consider myself an expert knitter.  I am also a reckless and lazy knitter.  I don’t use a life line, I never check my gauge.  And yet I’ll get half way through a project, measure the bust (that’s all that I care about, I need 48 inches to fit these melons!) and realize it’s way too big.  Is it my fault?  No.  I don’t think so.  I think it’s the yarn.  See, the yarn band will say size 4 but size 4 is massive when it comes to the stuff they sell at Michaels.

Thus here I am redoing this Flax I began for myself last year.  I should be wearing it right now, not knitting it.  It’s freaking freezing!

I know that knitting on metal needles makes gauge tighter, I know that thicker yarn needs thicker needles.  But I didn’t pay attention.

So now I’ve done what I have done in the past and knit a smaller sized sweater on larger needles.  Other wise I would be knitting on super small needles to fit the correct gauge.  Math aggravates me, measuring aggravates me.

Hopefully I will finish this soon, because like I said, it’s freaking freezing.

For those that want to know the numbers if that tickles your fancy here they go:

I started making the XL size on size 8 needles.  The gauge was too big and I needed to get rid of something like 6 or more inches.  Now I’m making the size M/L on size 9 needles.  I have 4 stitches to the inch.  Again the gauge is big but it’ll work out.

And that’s it.  Finally a Flax for myself after making one for everyone else BUT me.

Comments

Popular Posts