Spring Break at the Beach

 


I have never seen the water this blue at Flagler Beach.  

We took the Amtrak Silver Star down here last week, it was a lovely ride and the station in Palatka isn’t too far from my parent’s house.

It was Dino’s first overnight train ride.  I just wish that we had been in a room instead of coach, but as all true Amtrak fans know, coach for 22 hours in preferable to an economy flight for 3.  Also, with these terrible gas prices, it’s significantly cheaper.  Don’t get me started on the idiots deciding to act crazy at 30 thousand feet, Amtrak will kick your ass off in the middle of nowhere for not wearing a mask.  That’s the kind of service I want and support.

Anyway.

We came down to visit and relax.  We haven’t been to Florida since the summer of 2017.  We usually come down every year.  We also haven’t been to the beach since 2019.  I took Ana one last time to Brighton Beach after Shadow passed.  Then the pandemic hit and I wasn’t going anywhere near a beach with all those crazy morons.

So, relax I did.  I have done absolutely nothing and it’s been divine.  There is absolutely nothing more spiritually affirming than sitting on an empty beach and watching the waves crash.  The air is crisp, the sun is warm and the water thunders as it hits the sand.

Simply glorious.

Tomorrow is our last day here.  We get on the Silver Star at 9pm and ride all day Sunday.  

Back to reality.  

At least we aren’t going back to freezing cold temperatures!

Tomorrow we will celebrate Ana’s birthday with cake and I am tasked with making the pastitsio, which is approximately three straight hours of prep and cook time, plus an extra hour for it to rest because no one eats a piping hot pastitsio.  The flavors need time to congeal.

Now I shall get back to doing nothing.

Nothingness is sacredness.

Or something like that.

🏝


Comments

Popular Posts