What Happened to the Toltec Wisdom?

 


This is one of those books that everyone and their mother and chiropractor recommend you read as a spiritual person.

They forget that I’m also an intellectual person.  When the title of your book says Toltec wisdom, I want some ancient Mexican knowledge on those pages.  For fucks sake, an episode of Ancient Aliens can do a better job explaining Mexican indigenous religions than this book!

Then there is the matter of how it’s written.  It’s very odd.  Like, is this how things that brain wash certain people are written?  The first thing I noticed was the lack of contractions.  I’m no grammar Nazi, yes I’m that bitch that went to NYU for creative writing, I didn’t study literature nor proper writing techniques.  But shit, it was glaring, and may I say jarring?  Reading it made me feel icky.  Having non-contracted words really bothered me and maybe it wouldn’t elsewhere, but the way these words were strung together just didn’t sit right with my brain, the whole thing was off.

During the hundred some odd pages (it’s very short, thankfully) the author mentioned two alleged Toltec words, no real explanation of who they were, what they did, who they worshiped, what their beliefs were.  This was a very real pre colonial civilization.  They have art work that is in museums! Yet my dude mentions Jesus.  The entire notion of Jesus is what destroyed Mesoamerican culture.  Christianity is responsible for the genocide of American indigenous peoples.  Yet here in this book, claiming to be about ancient wisdom, we find the least ancient Demi-God of them all.

Now, during my reading of each of his agreements, a cruel and possibly sinister thought struck me.  A person who is mentally ill, possible sociopath, can read this book and using these agreements can justify their behavior.  There isn’t a moral compass in the book, my mans Jesus doesn’t count!  This book could also be very dangerous for a depressed person.  The author flat out states that depression is your own fault, and you know, not a chemical imbalance in your brain.  If you want to be happy just be happy. 

The fuck?

Not everyone is as much of a tenacious bitch as I am.  When I say, fuck my illness, I want to live, I fucking mean it.  But so many people with psoriatic disease literally can’t feel the way I do due to depression.  This book could make someone feel worse than they already do, and that makes me angrier than I already am.

So fuck it.

Fuck this book.

Can we agree on that?

👽




Comments

Popular Posts