A Four Day Rail Trip

 

6:30 am ready to depart Moynihan Train hall.


People said I was crazy for wanting to do this journey with a 6 year old.  I had wanted to travel across the US by train since Shadow and I first got together.  Now at least I got to bring Ana to his mother by rail.

There really is no other way to see America than by train, hands down.  The rails take you where cars and people can’t go.  Up and through and over mountains, plains and deserts.  We saw it all, and it was majestic and beautiful and everything more eloquent writers than I can say about it.  Ana was delighted at every bend, she didn’t throw a fit, she didn’t tantrum she didn’t complain about not having WiFi.

Ana sat quietly and watched the scenery unfold and landscape change from state to state.  She told me several times how beautiful it all was and that she was so happy we took the train.  I certainly was too.

The first thing I have to say is that the people of Amtrak work their fucking asses off to make your ride a delight.  I am not used to being taken care of like I had been on board.  All of the crew were beyond amazing. 

Secondly, I’d like to clarify that this was two different trains I took to get across to California.  One was the Cardinal which starts in NYC and ends in Chicago and the second was the California Zephyr which begins in Chicago and ends in San Fransisco, we got off in Roseville since it does not stop in Auburn which is actually where Shadow’s mom lives.

Here are some cute photos of Ana in Chicago’s Greek town which was kind of an empty little side street devoid of people and traffic.  I am used to the hustle and bustle of NYC; Chicago was a virtual ghost town.

Athena on a fish, part of an art installation.

Ana in front of the fishes.

As close as we were gonna get to Willis tower.

A tiny temple, I believe dedicated to Athena.

Our stop in Chicago was about 4 hours.  It was plenty of time to decompress, walk to Greek town, get some lunch and snacks and walk back.  We then waited in the Metropolitan lounge which is free with our particular tickets where we sat in comfy chairs and ate snacks.  Because I’m disabled Red Cap service drove Ana and I along with our luggage to the Zephyr.  You don’t get service like that at an airport anymore.



Inside the Zephyr we had our own little roomette which is two seats facing each other during the day and a top and bottom bunk at night.  It was plenty of space for Ana and I.  The door locks from the inside and has privacy curtains; we didn’t have to wear masks in our little room.  

To pass the time we colored and played chess, checkers and backgammon.  Ana also had a little play set with a family of foxes.  I brought my Kindle and got plenty of reading done.  I still don’t know how to play chess but apparently Dino taught Ana a hell of a lot more than I know.

The rest of the time was passed with sight seeing through the windows and three square meals a day in the dining car.  I also enjoyed complimentary coffee in our sleeper car.  We were spoiled.  One of our meals was a delicious steak dinner we ate while riding through the Nevada desert.

Here are some lovely photos I took:








We arrived well rested, more than well fed, pampered really.  I am up in the mountains and it’s peaceful and lovely with wild turkeys, all sorts of birds and lizards and deer.  It’s a nice change of pace from all the bullshit I’ve been through over the past 6 years, I’ll tell you that.

In a couple more weeks, we get to go back the other way.  I kinda wish I could just train hop from state to state for a few weeks straight.  Shadow would have totally been onboard.

🚞

Comments

Popular Posts