Back to Bamboo

A while ago, I wrote about how I had to reconsider my bamboo toothbrush.  I also reconsidered my bamboo knitting needles.  But as the weather has gotten chilly, I realized that my hands prefer the warmth of a natural material like bamboo, at least when it’s not 90 degrees outside.

I change my toothbrush out every three months on the solstices and equinoxes, which I can not recommend enough. We’re supposed to change them every three months, so why not do it on the Wiccan Sabbats?  A new toothbrush is a great little present for yourself on the equinox, especially if it’s an eco friendly one!

So, about a week before Mabon, I noticed Package Free was having a sale and that they had made their own brand of bamboo toothbrush.  Seeing as how I get free shipping on every order, plus 10 percent off as well as the extra 30 percent for the sale, how could I not try the new brush?

Well, I’m really liking it.  My gums aren’t sore, my teeth seem to look less stained, despite my dark roast coffee preferences, and it feels nice in my poor gnarly arthritic hand. (I’d like to also point out that I haven’t changed toothpastes, I still use the peppermint one with fluoride from Trader Joe’s.)

All that’s a win in my book.

On to the needles.  

My poor Denise set has seen better days.  It’s about 5 and half years old already and the needles are becoming worn.  The main issue with resin is that it doesn’t obtain a patina over time like wood does.  I’ve tried to polish my needle tips or even use a nail buffer, but my hands are so bad that even minute details in the finish can bring more pain due to the yarn not gliding smoothly over them.

I pulled out some bamboo needles to work with and it’s a lot easier now.  It looks like I may have to change out needles seasonally depending on the weather.  When it’s chilly I’ll stick to bamboo, and when it’s hot, I’ll move to resin.  I’ll probably never be able to use metal again.

I’m just happy to have found things that work for me.  Most people don’t have to worry about such things, but I unfortunately do.  I can’t use things that bring me pain, I already suffer enough.  Why not try to make my life a bit easier?

There is also the issue of sustainability, if we can use an item that is biodegradable, from a plant that grows so incredibly fast, then we really should.  

That’s this witch’s take at least.

🎍🎋

Comments

Popular Posts