Paperwork... again.

Last year, I didn’t have to lift a finger.  Just sit back, relax and do what I gotta do.  But no.  This year, I have to re apply for Medicaid for myself and Ana.  I hate reapplying for stuff. It’s annoying.  The office isn’t even open so it’s a weird mix of online, mail and fax.

The government literally knows everything about me, they’re the ones that give me money every month. And yet, they still want my whole life story.  I had to go to the library today just so I could sit at a computer, print out banking statements, 10 pages worth, for what?  To see that I’m broke and the little bit of money they give me from SSDi isn’t going to drugs and Xbox’s?  Do they really need to see how much I spend at Lidl and Trader Joe’s each week?  Are they gonna question the 20 debit charge from the Pokémon Center for my kids?

The entire process is asinine, especially in NJ.  When I was in the shelter in NY, you go to a kiosk and put your SS number in.  That’s about it.  Here in NJ you have to provide proof for the proof.  If a person has ID and SS number than that’s all they need because that’s what a person needs to have a bank account to begin with.  Unless you’re an idiot stashing money in your mattress, they do ask you if you have cash at home.  I say zero, what are you gonna do come and count my penny jar?!

I can understand why so many people who qualify for benefits don’t bother, it’s a hassle, it can be humiliating to some folks.  It’s not necessarily like that for me.  I’m already the lowest of the American garbage on disability, I know how I’m perceived by society and I really don’t care, but for the people that just need a little extra for food each month, it can be downright degrading.

I sure hope some of these archaic systems can be fixed.  Housing is one of the biggest ones.  If the rent was cheaper people wouldn’t need assistance, but they just don’t get it.

So at least for today I have one application out of the way.  I faxed the pages too because in this day and age they’re still using a fucking fax machine when everyone’s phones take pictures.  Whatever, the library didn’t even charge me the 4 bucks.  Those librarians are awesome.

The next thing I’m going to apply for is free internet.  Someone posted something about it last week that in 60 days people can apply for vouchers.  Internet takes 38 bucks out of my food budget.  It’ll be lovely to get that money back.  I’d love to be able to afford that delicious Keto coffee creamer that Thrive Market sells (just cause I’m poor doesn’t mean I have to eat like it).  I have their free poor people membership and I still can’t afford to order from them regularly.  I need a voucher for that!

Hope everyone gets what they need this year.

Blessed Be!

Comments

Popular Posts