Caron X Pantone aka the yarn for Masochists

Gorgeous, aren’t they?

A few years ago, Caron the yarn company of Simply Soft and One Pound fame collaborated with Pantone to bring highly curated and colorful yarns to Michael’s featuring Pantone colors.  Called Caron X Pantone, they’re visually appealing, the colors are gorgeous and the put up (how they present the ball itself) was totally new.

They called them braids.  I call them little skeins of terror.

Each “braid” has 5 colors on it.  The entire braid is only 127 yards.  I have 4 braids in this color way, so that’s 20 little balls I will have at the end of my winding.  It’s tedious.  I didn’t even take a picture of all my unwound skeins and balls.  I got one braid done while watching Anderson Cooper’s sexy silver fox self host Jeopardy.  Here are the instructions in the pattern I want to work on.


How can anyone be sane after doing that 20 times?  To make matters even more asinine, the damn skeins don’t fit on my yarn swift, they’re too small, so I had to place them on the back of the only wooden chair I own but they slid down to the bottom.  Needless to say, I missed so many questions on this evenings program.

So why am I working with these little hell balls?  Because they’re in my closet and need to be used.  Shadow bought them for me, they’re amazing colors and I wish to make this asymmetrical striped shawl that will look totally rad wrapped around my neck come fall.


I wish to make Version 1, Version 2 does not appeal to me so I shan’t bother you with its photo.  I think the colors I have will look beautiful worked up like this.  It will also be a good project to take to the park every day because my car coat has gotten much too big and heavy.  I don’t like working on two projects at once, because I easily forget where I was in a pattern despite having hundreds of stitch markers and 5 stitch counters.  However, I can’t keep breaking my shoulder lugging around a sweater that barely fits in my tote bag anymore.

So, that is that.  I was able to begin a few rows I’m hoping the gauge is right because if it’s not I will surely run out of yarn.  Size 10 needles were much too big so I’m on size 9 of my Denise set which I think this pair was scratched too. 

Anyway, tomorrow will be 80 degrees outside and I doubt I will want to knit with wool period, so in the bag it will sit.

🧶


Comments

Popular Posts