Imperfect Foods

It’s a great title, but I didn’t make it up.  A friend of mine on Discord told me about it.  It’s a delivery service to reduce food waste, being all about that zero waste life I decided to check it out.  Normally I can’t afford things like that, but they have a program for low income families much like how I got a free Thrive Market membership.

Being able to cancel boxes and not being locked in was the selling point.  Like what happens on a week Dino isn’t here and I need less stuff?  I need to be able to have flexibility week to week.  So, I became a member with nothing to lose.  Then they sent me an application for their low income discount which they approved me for.  It gives me 20 percent off each order.  Not bad.  

Now the only real issue is that everything changes daily with their availability and selection.  I’m given an allotted time to fill my cart and that was Thursday at 3pm until Sunday at 12pm.  My box which only cost me 20 bucks will be delivered tomorrow.  I chose the vegan option because I only want veggies.  I don’t like the chicken at Lidl so I go to Whole Foods or TJ’s for that.  But Lidl has the only good Salmon (Faroe Island caught) and their grass fed steaks are good quality too.  Thrive Market I can order dry goods from, if they’re in stock.  I did manage to get my favorite French lentils in bulk from WFM the other day, so that was cool.  I don’t know if everyone is in a lentil kick or if there is still a lentil shortage.  I just want nutritious organic food to eat at the end of the day so I don’t get sicker than I already am, bottom line.

I’ll see how it goes, if I can save money and get good stuff then it’s a win win, if not, then I’ll stick to Lidl for their organic produce, Thrive for when I need WF’s stuff for cheap and TJ’s when I’m lazy and don’t want to cook (they have the best frozen section!) and the cat’s favorite food is at TJ’s as well.  I’ll venture down the hill to WFM when I need palo santo, bars of soap, my obscure teas and vitamins and let us not forget about my favorite sausages, the pork garlic and herb but only when they’re on sale, nothing is worth that non sale price.

Now, I really have to call down to WFM and see if they’ll let me fill up my personal mason jars.  That will really make my day.  I hate filling up the little baggies cause I never remember how much product each jar can hold, plus the baggies defeat the purpose of zero waste!  That’s the biggest problem with Thrive is all the packaging.

That’s my two cents.

Can’t wait for my mushrooms and avocados!  That’s right, I’m a fancy bitch.


Comments

Popular Posts