Conscious Kids Summit

I love how I’m getting more and move invites to free spiritual events and workshops online.  I used to love attending these kind of things in person but I haven’t been able to do so since September 2019.  That seems like a life time ago.

The Conscious Kids Summit was recommended by the founder of HoopYogini because she is one of the presenters.  It started today and runs through Friday.  Today I listened to three twenty minute interviews with a Mayan healer, a PhD in child pedagogy and an expert in yoga for children.  

I learned a few things here and there.  One of them being that I have to stop suggesting to Dino what he can do with his life.  All first borns go through this, their parents want them to be the best and to achieve great things.  But this mentality is leading to high suicide rates, depression and eating disorders especially in his age group 8-14 year of age.  Parents today are putting to much pressure on their kids.  Instead of making suggestions the doctor explained, we must instead be a guide and model our many interests for them, and embrace their own interests in turn.  They will figure it out based on what they’re passionate about and we must support that. They were placed on this Earth for a purpose, and they are in charge of figuring out that purpose.  I just thought that was so beautiful.  

Dino sees that I have a few different hobbies, and I support the new ones that he is learning about, such as table top games, which he recently has gotten into.  It’s a wonderful low tech hobby (I prefer low tech), so I will support him and encourage him to find games that he enjoys. 

Hearing what that doctor had to say really put my mind at ease about my son.  I am doing the right thing, but I am not perfect, no one is, and I will re attune if I find myself placing too much pressure on him.  He is a child.  Often times because we see that a teen is taller than us we want to treat them like an adult, but he is still very much a little boy despite his size.  He should not be worried about adult matters right now.  He is still capable of experiencing the world through the wonderment of childhood.

Tomorrow will be more lectures, one I really want to hear is on feeding our children without stress.  Neither of my children are picky eaters, and I am thankful for that.  There will be more mindfulness and yoga talks too.

The nice thing is, is that they’re all pre recorded so I can listen at my leisure, like when I was doing the dishes and cooking.

While I can not wait to be able to attend my usual fairs, expos and gatherings, I am really so very grateful for online forums like this.


Comments

Popular Posts