Guernsey Mitts

 


I’ve wanted to knit a tradition Guernsey sweater for many years.  They’re not technically complex.  Unlike Fair Isle or Aran Isle techniques.  Instead, they’re one of those things that will probably hurt my hands to no end if I work it in the traditional manner, which is to say with very small needles and thicker yarn.  That, as I’ve mentioned time and time again is a horrid combination for my hands.

One day, I came across a pattern for knitted fish.  They’re a flat fish which one knits up using the classic sea fairing patterns.



This is available on Ravelry of course, I have not knit a single fish and now feel as if I should, just for the sheer hell of it.

A note about the patterns, they’re all related to fishing in some way, so you’ve got your ropes and steps, ladders and flags.  Now the rumor is, is that every woman on the island had her own special pattern for her husband’s sweater, and so when he went over board, as one does, and washed ashore, she could then identify his bloated corpse by his sweater alone.

Truly fascinating and morbid which is exactly how I love my knitting history.  Except, it’s the same history about Irish fisherman sweaters, that most historians say is false and there’s some scientific reason as to why one wouldn’t be able to identify a water logged sweater, but I’ve forgotten that compelling evidence and don’t feel like looking it up.

I digress.  I wanted to knit something Guernsey, and I then came across a pattern for fingerless mitts, which I adore and decided why the hell not?  However, it’s Dino’s birthday next so I am knitting them for him and that is the cashmere blend I wrote of previously which had been a real son of a bitch to wind into a cake.

Nonetheless, it really is a wonderful yarn and who doesn’t love a good shade of purple?  It’s been fun to watch the patterns emerge, no cable needle required, all a combination of knits and purls.

By this afternoon, I have finished the diamond pattern, then there is one more before I increase for the thumb.  Perhaps I’ll finish them both well before his birthday and I’ll surprise him with a Guernsey fish as well!


Comments

Popular Posts