My Lack of Shoes

I want this color next.


I no longer wear proper shoes.  I used to love Dr. Martens and the comfiness of a well warn pair of Chucks.  But since my prolonged flair up I haven’t been able to wear anything other than Birks when it’s warm and Crocs with socks when it’s cold.

I have a dilemma with my love of Crocs.  I’ve been through many many pairs since 2006 when I bought my first pair when I was pregnant with my son.  They are not however sustainable.  I go through them quickly, usually 3 to 4 months per pair.  So their cost is high, but I’m also talking about their environmental impact.

They’re plastic, and plastic fucking sucks.  We have bio plastic now made from corn and I really think it’s high time Crocs hops on the bandwagon and uses plants instead of fossil fuels to make their shoes.

I count my Crocs as a medical expense (not in the tax sense but in the plastic consumption sense).  This year was the longest I have ever had a pair that still has some semblance of treads left.  I believe I purchased them either in late November or early January of last year.  So they have definitely passed the one year mark which is outstanding, but also horrible to know that that’s how little I’ve walked around due to covid.

I sometimes browse through websites that sell wide shoes but know that they’re going to ultimately hurt my poor swollen toesies more than anything.

I also have two pairs of Birks in the closet that desperately need to be re soled.  I specifically purchased leather so that I can have them for many years to come.  Re soling them cost a little less than half of what I paid but there is one place that will put special hard wearing heel pieces on them for my pronation.  They’re in the city, so I’ll have to wait, cause my behind is not stepping foot into that cesspool.

In the mean time, I keep my Crocs scrubbed clean (which always helps with gripping), but I’ll need a new pair soon.  I’m hoping they give me a coupon for my birthday.  Then I can buy the color pictured above and perhaps some Jibbitz, it’s been a long time since I’ve had Jibbitz on my Crocs, that’ll be a lovely treat.

It’s a good thing events and such are all canceled and I certainly don’t have anywhere fancy to go.  When I was a teen and first started feeling the effects of the arthritis I would cry when I’d have to wear dress shoes.  I tried to wear heels a few times as an adult, but I always paid for it dearly when I finally took them off and could barely climb the stairs to bed.

Whatever fancy place I have to go to in the future, whether it’s church or some relatives baptism or wedding, I shall proudly don my bright ass plastic shoes because to hell with social standards, I don’t give a fuck anymore.

Comfiness trumps all else.

Comments

Popular Posts