The Shaded Color Shawl


This damn crochet shawl has been staring me in the face for at least 6 months or more.

A couple of days ago I couldn’t take it anymore and decided to finally finish it.  I know, I should have been working on Dino’s birthday mitts but this thing had to be done already.

I do not like taking so long to complete a project.  It irks me.  Yet, I had a rather good excuse for this one.  Sometime during the summer my niece sat on my wooden crochet hook and broke it.  If I had been using bamboo or aluminum this never would have happened, but I simple adore my Knit Picks radiant birch crochet hooks, they’re so smooth and light weight, and a pleasure for my gnarlie fingies to work with (I should be getting paid for such praise!).

I did get a replacement sometime in November but the shawl still sat in my knitting basket mocking me.

I planned on making this back in May ‘19.  Shadow bought the yarn for me and it was one of the last times I got to go to the Lion Brand Yarn Studio before they shut that shit down, not cause of covid mind you, but because of rising rents, as if that makes it any better.  I LOVED that fucking yarn store, Darrin was so cool and so were all the regular old school NYC ladies who hung out in there.  It sucks that it’s gone.

Now, usually I keep immaculate track of my projects on Ravelry, but for some strange reason I didn’t add the start date for this shawl but I must have begun it sometime shortly after lockdown.  That means it was high time I finished the damn thing.

I am actually very pleased with how it turned out.  To be honest, the yarn was a pain in my ass to work with.  It was “lightly” spun, meaning their asses didn’t spin it at all and it was literally just four plies of cotton string just hanging out.  No wonder they discontinued it. 

The completed shawl is gorgeous though.  I love the drape of it, the texture and it’s just soft enough without being mushy.  I detest mushy yarns.

I’ll wear it inside if it gets too chilly as a scarf and then outside when it gets warmer as an additional layer.

Once I’m done with Dino’s mitts, I really have to work on my back catalogue of UFO’s (that’s unfinished objects in yarn parle), it certainly is time. 

Comments

Popular Posts