Spencerian

 



My sister’s friend, who I suppose is my friend too, got me the above book for Christmas.  I gave her a hat, a treasure pouch and a soap saver last night and I opened my present from her today.

It was so kind of her, she knows I write with fountain pens so something like this is right up my alley.

I used to do calligraphy.  I was good at it.  I’d fill in students certificates in high school and later on at work.  But over the years as my joints got more stiff and swollen, my handwriting suffered and it’s no longer at all consistent.

I considered purchasing the Spencerian workbooks a few years ago, and then again during lock down, but I never did.  Now that I have this book, it’s the perfect time to put pen to paper again and try and regain a legible script.  

I never had the best handwriting, but people did comment that it was nice and neat and when I was younger it was “bubbly”.  No one had ever told me they couldn’t read what I wrote, but that’s certainly not the case now.

Neat handwriting is something that should go hand in hand with fountain pen ownership and usage.  What’s the point in owning a 30 dollar pen (that’s my most expensive one) if I can’t write beautifully with it?

I have seen men show off their 300 dollar pens with terrible handwriting!  Like dude, you spent that much on a keepsake, learn how to write better, for real.

I for one, intend to do just that.  I’ll go through the book little by little and see how I do.  It’s worth a shot!  Then all my journals will look really swell!  

I can’t wait!

📜🖋


Comments

Popular Posts