A Stormy Evening

 

Iced tea, soft lighting and fresh air.

The thunder sounds like fireworks in the distance as I sit and sip my iced tea.  All day long we’ve been home as the water ran down in sheets from the sky.

I read my books, I lit a candle in quiet prayer and added Palo santo to the altar as well.  The word I want to use to describe the streets outside is deluge.  Water rushing down the hill so fast I expected to see cars floating away.  It wasn’t that bad.

Now the air is cool and crisp.  I turned off my AC’s and threw open all the windows to bring in the much needed fresh air.  It is wonderful.  Rain does not fall now but soon it will as the remnants of hurricane Elsa creep toward us.  Once again I am thankful to live in such an old building.  A structure with good bones as they say, one that has been through all manner of weather.  I’m thankful I’m not in Hoboken, down the hill where it floods during normal rain.  It’s going to be very bad down there tomorrow.

We received flash flood alerts and power outage alerts from Optimum and PSE&G.  Again, we’ve been lucky, we haven’t lost power.  The internet we can care less about, we have our books.  The altar cabinet is stocked full to bursting with candles and lighters and matches.  Most of them are from the Botanica, but they will do nicely in a pinch, no arch Angels need be called.

I brewed my red raspberry leaf tea for half an hour and iced it.  There is absolutely nothing more relaxing on a night like this than ice tea and a good book.  TV just doesn’t have the same vibe as reading does in this type of weather, at this particular temperature.  It just feels right.

I’ve always loved storms of all types.  I see the raw power in them, the pure energy and magick of Mother Gaia.  It’s almost as if I can feel it crackle within myself.  When I was younger, my friends and I would go out and dance as it poured.  If my knee would allow I would do it again.  That feeling is what true magick is, when you are connected to water and sky and body with the carelessness of youth allowing you to feel completely alive.

Tonight however, I sit by the open window, breathing.  Sipping. Listening.  The water still flows down the street from the apex of the hill.  My tea is nearly finished, but my book is not and the night is still young and fresh and new.

Blessed Be.


Comments

Popular Posts