The Locked Up Tarot Decks of Barnes and Noble

 


We haven’t been to Barnes and Noble in a while.  And last time I was there I didn’t think to even look down the spiritual isle.  This is what they do to the tarot decks now.

But, this isn’t a video dear reader, so you are missing something crucial, the sound the alarms make.  It is an eerie ticking noise that is very insect like and in fact there is a spider molded onto the plastic of the alarm.

I suppose if you are stealing tarot cards you can’t have arachnophobia.

Back in the day when I was in my early 20’s and I’d frequent this location with my tiny Dino boy, the tarot decks were kept behind the register.  Also, there were only a few to choose from.  I’m pretty sure I bought my Deviant Moon deck from here but I can’t remember for sure.  I know I wasn’t using Amazon back then and Namaste hadn’t opened up yet.

We perused the shelves and floors for about an hour this afternoon noon after lunch when it looked like rain threatened and we didn’t want to sit in the park.  The entire time, the whole isle was filled with at least one employee and a different gaggle of girls looking at the different decks.  I don’t think I saw anyone actually take one to the register.

I did hear an employee tell a woman that the decks were their most stolen item and that it’s odd because in these spiritual traditions you’re told not to steal.  

Indeed.

Sadly, without Barnes and Noble’s teaching discount I can no longer save money purchasing from there.  Often times Amazon is at least 10 dollars or more cheaper especially for hard covers.  But, I have a Kindle now, due to my lack of shelf space and it serves me well and saves me money.

I would also like to take the opportunity for a small rant.  When my Dino was a tiny little thing he was obsessed with Harry Potter, but Barnes and Noble hardly had anything.  Why, after JK Rowling has been canceled, are there aisles upon aisles of merchandise?  Items that Dino would have LOVED back when he was 4.  

So not fair.

And so much for that.

📚


Comments

Popular Posts