A Bit of Nature in the City

 

Moss!

Being a city witch means I am far removed from Mother Nature, but every now and again I come across instances like this where She is on full display despite the concrete jungle that surrounds Her.

Ana and I went on an evening walk, which she requested as her new evening routine.  We usually watch Jeopardy (LeVar, where you at man?) at 7 as a family, but she wants to take walks instead.  This evening not even a block from our building we came across this tree that is something out of Narnia.  The entire trunk is covered in thick green moss, and you can’t see it from this photo, but the lamppost behind it is fully engulfed by its branches.

Magical.

Ana delights in walking by all the planters filled with greenery, on the corner of 48th there is one with English ivy.  Each of these giant planters seems to be filled with something different which, of course, I’ve never taken the time to notice before.  The planters only exist on the Weehawken side.  As soon as you cross the street you’re in Union City and while the side walks are newer and much more even (so much better on my poor knees), there isn’t much in the way of foliage.

Oddly enough this was always one of my favorite times of year growing up in Queens, because as a child I did notice these changes.  There was one particular spot I always wished I could go into.  It was someone’s tiny little garden, gated, with all manner of antique trinkets positioned about.  I believe it was on 47th street just before you hit the corner of the avenue.  I might not recall correctly and I’m sure it’s either not there anymore or changed somehow.  That was a great neighborhood for walks, I sure do miss it.

It’s nice to take some time to notice, to see the shades of green and observe something different for once.  Everyone should try and do the same.  Get out there, walk around and see what you can see.  Nature is all around us, even in the middle of a city block.  She goes unnoticed, but is there providing us with a bit of green.  

Thank you Great Mother!

Blessed be!

🏡

Comments

Popular Posts