My Faith in Libby is Restored

Aren’t my library cards pretty?

If you know me, then you know I’m a broke ass witch.  Free is the name of my game.  I can’t afford Barnes and Noble anymore, it makes me sad, but I survive. Initially I liked Libby, then, I hated Libby, then I loved Libby again, and now that I have not one, but three library cards from three different states on the app, I can finally truly love Libby again.

How did I get three library cards you ask?  You didn’t ask?  Well I shall tell you anyway because one happens to be a library card that everyone in the US can apply for and get.

The first card I put on Libby is my Weehawken township card.  Really nothing special.  They are part of a cooperative of libraries throughout Bergen and a few other counties in NJ, but even then, they don’t seem to have much.  They list 23K items as “available now” meaning other items will have to be put on hold.  Yes, even with digital copies there are still holds and wait times as I’ve lamented about previously.  Makes no sense.

The second card I added is from Kentucky.  I have never lived in Kentucky, I don’t know anyone in Kentucky and I’ve never even passed through the state.  Kentucky offers anyone with a US address access to their digital collection called unbound.  Get it, cause they’re not physical books?  Gotta love library humor!  With my new digital card I get access to an additional 67K available now titles.  Not bad right?

Finally, and I just added this one this evening, is my out of date New York public library card which there is a picture of on this blog from many years ago when we lived in the shelter in Queens.  It was just on the off chance that I decided to see if it worked.  And it fucking did.  I am so happy.  That card adds on 127K available titles.  That’s more than the other two combined!

Now technically I have access to one more special library as an NYU student.  However, I am not in need of academic peer reviewed papers and the like.  If I do need a particular title on let’s say Ancient Greek religion, then yes, those types of books are available to me. I’ve heard tales of a secret Ancient Greek only library up town but it’s only available to PhD students in that field.  Well screw them, I’m Greek and I may need it to actually resurrect my indigenous religion!

I digress.

Tonight, instead of watching Jeopardy, I spent an hour after dinner searching for titles that I’ve wanted to read for years that my township doesn’t have.  Titles that I wanted to get my hands on at age 13 when I just started on my spiritual path.  I am just so unbelievably thankful that I was able to add these two cards.  I’m even more grateful for the money I spent on my Kindle that fateful Black Friday sale before Covid hit.

So, on that note, excuse me while I go read.

📚

Comments

Popular Posts