Time to Replace My Medical Equipment

Completely bad ass, practical, yet so expensive.

Seeing (pun intended) as I use eye glasses and a cane every single day, you’d think I’d be better about getting new ones when they’re worn out.

Well, as with everything else, fucking Covid.

I’m supposed to go to the eye doctor every year, but I didn’t go last year.  It’s time.  I’ve had the same specs since 2017.  When your prescription doesn’t change they don’t give you new glasses when you have Medicaid unless you pay for them.  They’re assholes.  I know, hence why I’ve met people with broken glasses who can’t get new ones.  Thankfully Ana hasn’t broken my glasses since she was a baby.

When Shadow died, I didn’t get anything done and then Covid hit.  With Medicare being a whole different ball game, I’m hoping that I can easily get seen, not pay a dime and order my glasses online so I don’t have to sit inside with anti-vaxxers. 

I’ll take a moment to bitch about the cost of glasses.  They’re all fucking made in China.  I don’t care if they’re Versace or Kirkland signature.  Plastic is fucking plastic.  You can’t even argue about the lenses cause those are made here in a lab and need to be prescription.  But frames should not cost over 100 bucks or more.  How are there websites with 5 dollar frames? How does Costco sell a 20 pack of reading glasses for so cheap?  It’s all fucking plastic!  Absolutely nothing special about any of it!

Now to my cane.

I have a wooden cane, my first ever cane that I got at the ripe old age of 30.  I keep it in case I need to beat the living shit out of some fucktard.  It’s heavy.  It will hurt, and who are the Po Po’s gonna believe?  Me, cause I’m crippled and speak eloquently.

I ordered a purple heavy duty metal folding cane back in 2018 or 2019, I forget, the past 6 years have a been a blur and at this point it’s all BS or AS, that’s Before Shadow and After Shadow’s death. It works for my frazzled psyche.  That purple cane’s handle isn’t looking too good lately.  Why?  Cause it’s fucking plastic!  What happens to plastic?  It deteriorates under certain conditions, like walking everywhere.

The good thing about my cane is that it was cheap, under 20 bucks.  It also had the tip replaced 3 times cause I walk everywhere.  I’ve been looking at canes on Amazon, and I can get the same one although the price increased or I can get one of the printed ones.  I had a flower printed one once.  Don’t know what happened to it, maybe I threw it out? This time I’m leaning toward a butterfly printed one.  That’ll be something different.  Either way, it’s the handle that matters.  It absolutely must be a derby style handle.  I can not walk comfortably with anything other than a derby.

Shadow used to have a sword cane, I would love to rock one of those but he needed his for balance where as I need mine to not fall.  Decorative canes are awesome but I need the heavy duty canes built for ultra fat people who only walk around Walmart once a month on food stamp day because I know if it can hold them up for that 1 hour while they purchase foods that will worsen their diabetes, it will hold me up for the entire year and then some.

I hope you saw the exact person I’m talking about in your mind’s eye because fuck that person.  They keep taking the wheely chairs.

The other type of cane I have always wanted is a hand carved wooden staff.  A few years ago at Pagan Pride Day, they were selling them, and they were gorgeous, but they were also expensive and I didn’t want to ask Shadow to buy me one, although I regret not getting one now.  Maybe when pride is back on.

So tomorrow I will try and find a place to make an appointment at because I had no luck today, apparently no one within walking distance takes Medicare.  So now I have to find out where the seniors go.  If worse comes to worse I’ll got to America’s Best, they’re cheap and their glasses don’t break.  I really need to get out of this country.  I’m so tired of not having completely free medical care.  That’s the ultimate irony of America’s Best who uses an owl as their mascot.  The symbol of the Greek goddess of war and wisdom.  Greece, just so you know, has free healthcare, but random wars aren’t part of their whole thing anymore.

Makes you think, doesn’t it.

🤓



Comments

Popular Posts