Got Wrap Star, Knit Shawl

 

So far, so good.

This cake of yarn has been sitting in my closet for close to three years.  I don’t remember if I got it at the outlet or the studio.  I knew I wanted to make a shawl out of it, but I never had a specific pattern in mind like I usually do.

It has gotten a tad ratty.

Wrap Star is a pain in the ass to work with.  It’s now discontinued, I wonder why?  They had a clever thing going really, each cake was named after a female R and B singer or rapper.  This particular color way is called Eve.  Such fun!

My initial idea was to knit it into a lofty baby blanket for my friend Sam M., but 400 yards isn’t nearly enough for a decent sized blanket.  So, shawl it was.  I had to input my exact criteria into Ravelry, which is what I always do when I’m working with limited yardage.  This pattern from Knitty popped up and fit the bill.  I’m very happy it’s from Knitty, they’re high quality and publish patterns seasonally all for free.  Free patterns are so very important to my knitting life.  After buying yarn and buttons, I simply do not have an extra five or more dollars to spend on directions and I am absolutely not doing the math myself.

I’m lazy, fuck that.

After starting this morning, I have completed chart A and the first go of chart B.  The second go of chart B has me repeating a section twice instead of once.  Very straightforward knitting, looks complex but isn’t.  There is one thing I had to tweak.  The double decrease.  Hardly anyone uses the central double decrease.  It is my favorite decrease.  It is neat, symmetrical, and adds the perfect tip to a diamond lace point.  It is indispensable and yet very rarely does a designer utilize its magnificence!  It isn’t even that difficult to execute.  Therefore, whenever a nice neat point needs to be made, I always do a CDD.

The yarn itself sucks, but the shawl should be stunning.  Let’s see how long it takes me to knit this one.  Summer is upon us, I have many books to read and many more skeins to knit.  I slacked off the entirety of quarantine so now it is time to get the ball rolling!

🧶

Comments

Popular Posts