Reading, Magic: A History

Yes, that says The Ice Age.

I’m about a third way through this book on my Kindle.  I simply adore works like this that focus on the history and anthropology of witchcraft.

The cover states that it starts at The Ice Age and that is no lie.  I had no clue that so many burials from that time period were highly ritualized, without a formal religion.  The basic gist so far is that magic existed before religion.  Human beings did things to bring change to their circumstances without the veneration of a God(s).  They didn’t need to appease some faceless entity in the sky.  Their rituals were for them and their loved ones.  And that for me, is just so absolutely profound.  It is the reason why I always tell people new to the craft that witchcraft transcends religion.  Intent and the flow of energy does not need to go through a God nor does it need to be made in the name of a God.  You are made from energy you can raise more and disperse it when needed.  Our ancestors did workings without the very concept of a God and perhaps they truly understood, more so than we do now, how fucking amazing the human body really is.

I can’t wait to read more, this book is truly a treat and I’m so thankful I came across it on the Libby app with no hold times!  When I read titles like this, I’m not looking to change my perspective on Wicca, I’m looking to validate my beliefs and literally fill my brain with more insight.  This book definitely fits the bill.

Now excuse me, I have more reading to do.

📚

Comments

Popular Posts