Finished: Felici Socks

 


I forgot these were in my knitting basket.  I started them at some point months ago and must have put them away at the bottom so I could make all the baby items for Sam M.

The idea was to make a single pair of socks with one ball, and I almost did exactly that, however I used a few yards from the next ball.  I think, that if I do 68 stitches on a size 2 needle, I may be able to make a pair that fit my fat feet and get it down to the single ball.  There is literally only one way to find out of course and that’s just to start them.  I just don’t like socks knit above US 1.5, to quote my favorite drag queen, “it bothers me”.

Now, here’s the thing about Felici.  There is a cult following behind this yarn.  It’s Italian merino, some of the most expensive wool you can buy.  It’s incredibly soft, but I feel it’s too soft for socks.  In fact, years ago when I first tried it, it was just way too soft.  Practically mushy.  I hated it.  I think the quality went down and now it’s manageable.  I don’t like too soft.  It doesn’t work well with my skin.  It doesn’t wear well.  This is where the 1/16th of my Irish DNA yells for a hearty hard wearing wool!  

Fun fact, the ancient Greeks hated hard wearing wools and only wanted the softest for their clothes.  It spun so finely you could see through it.  They don’t even breed sheep like that anymore.  As for the Irish, they have their heritage breeds and I hope to one day try one of their hard wearing wools.

My only issue now is that I don’t know what shoes I’m going to wear these socks with!  Or any of my hand knit socks for that matter.  I still have to go to the medical supply store and order my specialty shoes.  The podiatrist says I should be in sneakers.  I am hoping for a pair of extra extra wide (no that’s not a typo) Mary Janes.  I’ve always wanted a pair of the Dr. Marten ones but they’re not wide enough.

Oh well.

At least these are done, and I have plenty more sock yarn to last me.  I really should make it a point to finish the things I was supposed to finish ages ago.  Like my Flax…

Ugh.

🧶


Comments

Popular Posts